*Disclaimer: The BeatTips Community believes in constructive interaction. Helpful member participation is our mission. In The BeatTips Community, no questions are regarded as “dumb.” Everyone here has something to learn, and everyone here has something to teach. By joining The BeatTips Community, every member agrees to uphold the integrity of the entire Community.
—Amir Said (Sa’id), Founder/Administrator

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Winner of January '09 Beat Battle Is...

Widluk - "It Don't Stop"

First, wow... What a way to kick off the first BeatTips Beat Battle of the year. Man, the level in our community is a serious force, believe that shit...
    So dig it. What particularly caught my focus in January's Beat Battle was how many people are finding their own sound and sticking to it. I was very humbled by that... Much respect.

All right, now for the breakdown.

Widluk...
    OH SHIT!
    Two words: Banger and Party!!! Combine those two things in the right way, and you have a HIT; I don't care who's spittin' on this. This is one of those "can't go wrong" joints. This beat could save MC Whack-Ass... But more importantly, with the RIGHT MC, with the right combination of flow and charisma...straight to the moon!

Unbelievable merging horns; excellent syncopation work with hi-hats and off bass drum hits.... The changes, build-ups... Stayin true to the rhythm... First mother-fuckin' place...

2nd Place:
    Jegie - "On the Road"
    Hip hop/rap has its moments, its styles, its various textures, but that funky drum, air-your-ass-out style is simply hard to ignore! This beat moves mega hard and heavy, very dominate... DJs, that is real DJs, love joints like these, cuz it's so hard hitting that it makes it easier for blending records.

3rd Place:
    Thatinman11 - "The Gallent"
    Solid beatwork, well-defined theme... You were real patient with this joint. Very nice touch to it. What makes it even more dope is that both a skilled lyricist AND a party-rhymer could do this beat justice, which means this beat has range, and would most likely spark a range of song ideas.

4th Place:
    SC Beatz -"Carry on Laughing"
    Yo, SC, you's a dope dude... You have your own signature sound, and that speaks volumes. I noticed with this joint that you kept it simple, and stayed close to the base theme and rhythm. This make the everything tight, and really in the pocket.
    (Side note: turn down the level on your hats a little, let them sit more in the mix, and that rhythm will breath even more; remember save sonic space for the rapper/vocalist.)

Honorable Mentions:

Milkman - "Theme"
    Smooth, deceptively funky. The change in the middle doesn't completely fit, but then again, you don't let it ride for too long... Still, this is official gutter music! Sick, in the pocket drums; and the mix of the whole track gives the perfect sonic space for a rapper.

Boss - "Sting"
    Wanna say this: you're incredibly talented; more importantly you are devoted to your sound... Dig your "sense" for the core of our tradition.

uh-oh - "Get It"
    Yeah, kid, I like this right here... Gritty, Grimey... Respect the fact that you're pushing the boundaries of your drumwork, which I always have said is the most outstanding feature to your beats.

Billy Edelin - "Where I Put in Work"
    Decent... Can't stress enough how important it can be to stick to an established theme in a beat. In this joint you do that very well. Moreover, you leave nice space for an MC.

Bezely - "Money Maker"
    Very clever beat. Arrangement had balanced structure and it was discipline, nothing added that wasn't needed.

Notes.
    DrazCSP - "No More Trouble"
    First, caution! If you're going to use a very well known song by a VERY WELL KNOWN artist like Bob Marley, AND give it the same title, well, you've painted yourself in a corner: it has to be absolutely, incredibly ill...
    Some beats and ideas you scrap, and move on; some beats you keep. This joint is somewhere in between the middle, for various reasons, (including what I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph)... This awkward, seemingly random chop-work makes it real difficult for a rapper to catch the rhythm. Rappers (vocalists) need some level of stability, so that they feel comfortable to maximize the full potential of their rhymes.

Anomaly - "En Mis Manos"
    Percussion, combination of different music traditions, dope effort, but...WAY TOO much going on here. Where's the rapper suppose to rhyme? Never forget the purpose of a dope beat: to be used to create a dope song. And for that to happen, you need rhymes (vocals).

Beauty and the Beats - "The Hope"
    Real light, soft sound, contrasted with an ill shuffle drum pattern that hits hard with nice swing. Nice composite (overall piece)... On the real, I wonder what this would sound like with the tempo sped up two whole increments...

Don P - "Not Today"
    It's a good job of the standard stutter roll and build-up techniques. Sounds almost like you've mastered those techniques, so you kind of can't wait to show it off... Mid-way through your beat, you stack the main theme with some keys (piano), giving the track a more fuller sound. Right there, you should have took heed, 'Cuz I think there was the starting point for where the beat could have really taken you.

D.C. - "Hope"
    Absolutely, unmistakably professional and dope, indeed. Only... it's pretty much straight away R&B!

Sosadagr8 - "Death Note"
    This is movie score type music... something very useful for transitional scenes in television; even montage music.

Also, here's a note regarding SC Beatz's "more density" comment about your beat...
    Your beat was fine, hip hop/rap, (especially the type that you make), isn't confined to and/or defined by most common traditional music-making techniques, etc. Your beat was dope, the drums were just off. The need for "density" doesn't apply to your beat and/or you current style. In fact, that comment comes off too much like a literal reading of music, rather than a simple straight-forward listening of a hip hop/rap beat.

To be fair SC, density can (does) play a role in certain hip hop/rap beats, but usually not the kind of beats that are obviously based on chopping and sampling methods. The Drumknockerz beat, which has no density issues mind you, is the style of beat where discussions of density would be more applicable.

Final thoughts.

'09... This is the place! You can't tell me nothing. Our members go hard in the battle AND in the daily discussions. That's what impresses me. That's one of the things that makes me proud to belong to this community. These battle show a collective pride, and demonstrate a force that feels like the core of hip hop/rap manifested...

Congratulations to Widluk
    Widluk, hit me with a PM, include your full name and complete address for your prize money. Also, include a pic so I can feature you, on the home page of BeatTips.com.

We started this battle late, so the breakdown was late. But yo, let's get back on regular schedule.... February battle starts Friday the 13th...

-Sa'id

congrats widluk, i've already been workin on feb's beat, better watch out errrbody

DrazCSP Guest

Congrats Widluk!! Good work and a good way to kick off the year!!

BillyEdelin Guest

Good win Bro

Congrats! Dope beat dude!

DrazCSP Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sa'id View Post
    [SIZE="4"][B]
    Notes.
    DrazCSP - "No More Trouble"
    First, caution! If you're going to use a very well known song by a VERY WELL KNOWN artist like Bob Marley, AND give it the same title, well, you've painted yourself in a corner: it has to be absolutely, incredibly ill...
    Some beats and ideas you scrap, and move on; some beats you keep. This joint is somewhere in between the middle, for various reasons, (including what I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph)... This awkward, seemingly random chop-work makes it real difficult for a rapper to catch the rhythm. Rappers (vocalists) need some level of stability, so that they feel comfortable to maximize the full potential of their rhymes.

-Sa'id
    Damn....I honestly didn't even think about the title as a detriment, but I can see where it could create an issue...thanks for the heads up on that, for serious.

As for it being "awkward", its meant to have a "drunken master" type of appeal to it..swagger. Picture T.I. and Young Dro doing thier little side to side bop step to this, and it should put it into perspective. I appreciate the feedback still and I WILL take it into mind for Feb's entry. Lets Go!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DrazCSP View Post
    Damn....I honestly didn't even think about the title as a detriment, but I can see where it could create an issue...thanks for the heads up on that, for serious.

As for it being "awkward", its meant to have a "drunken master" type of appeal to it..swagger. Picture T.I. and Young Dro doing thier little side to side bop step to this, and it should put it into perspective. I appreciate the feedback still and I WILL take it into mind for Feb's entry. Lets Go!!!!
    Draz, I had a pretty good idea what you were shooting for. And not for nothin', but that song is REAL tempting to fuck with, I'm not gonna front. But all beats have to have a theme AND a strategy. You had the theme and the idea, but the strategy, (the way in which you chopped it), made it difficult to lock into a steady rhythm.

-Sa'id

Congrats Widluk. I like the beat. But Sa'id - why did I get two honorable mentions? I didn't enter the second beat...

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Congrats Widluk. I like the beat. But Sa'id - why did I get two honorable mentions? I didn't enter the second beat...
    That was a typo... my bad. You had just the one Honorable Mention.

-Sa'id

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast